Tuesday 12 May 2009

The Lunch Challenge - Part 3

This next recipe was a real hit with me. Easy to put together, tasty and healthy - a real winner all round. As part of my lunch challenge I decided to try the Bulgar Wheat Salad with Feta, Pomegranate and Lots of Herbs from In The Mood for Food by Jo Pratt.


This book must surely be a contender for the prettiest cookbook award. Call me shallow but I do particularly like cookbooks that look nice, with lots of enticing pictures, and this book definitely falls into that category!

I had never tried Bulgar Wheat before as it just didn't sound very appealing and I nearly substituted it for couscous. I was worried that it would be a bit like brown rice, which I find a bit of a chore to eat, but I'm pleased to say that my fears were unfounded. It just tasted like a slightly larger version of couscous and, mixed with all of the other ingredients, was a pleasure to eat. I'll definitely be making this salad again.


Bulgar Wheat Salad with Feta, Pomegranate and Lots of Herbs
(adapted from In the Mood for Food by Jo Pratt)

100g bulgar wheat
125g feta cheese, finely crumbled
seeds from 1/2 pomegranate (I used half a tub of seeds from the fresh fruit section of the supermarket)
1 large handful of mint leaves, roughly chopped
1 large handful of flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
2 ripe tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
1/2 bunch spring onions, finely sliced
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1) Cook the bulgar wheat according to the packet instructions and the rinse under the cold tap to cool it down. Drain really well and tip into a large bowl

2) Add the remaining ingredients and mix together well. Serve straight away or keep in the fridge overnight. I found this tasted nicer when it was closer to room temperature so you might want to take it out of the fridge half an hour before you plan to eat it.

Serves 2

No comments:

Post a Comment