Tuesday 9 March 2010

Guacamole

I love guacamole (or Piquant Avocado Salsa as Anthony Worrall Thompson calls it - is there a difference?) and would happily eat it all day long if avocado wasn't quite so heavy on the calories. This is the best thing that can happen to an avocado if you ask me. I'm not really a fan of them in their natural state - I find their bland, smooth texture a bit weird and icky. Add some tomato, spring onion, lime juice and spice though and they just come alive. This is gorgeous served just as it is with plain tortilla chips.


Piquant Avocado Salsa
(adapted from Anthony Worrall Thompson's GI Diet)

1 ripe avocado, peeled and stoned
1 tomato, de-seeded and diced
2 spring onions, sliced
Juice of 1/2 - 1 lime
1 chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
Pinch of ground cumin
Pinch of ground coriander
2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (or not in my case)
1 teaspoon chilli oil
Salt and ground black pepper

1) Mash the avocado with the back of a fork but don't make it too smooth.

2) Fold in the other ingredients and season to taste.

Serves 2


1 comment:

  1. I love avocado and Guacamole is one of my favourite dips. It's the perfect party food! This recipe looks and sounds delish.

    Maria
    x

    ReplyDelete