Tuesday 15 February 2011

Griddled Halloumi with Spiced Couscous

If you want a simple, quick, inexpensive and filling weekday dinner then you can't get much better than this. I actually tried this several years ago and wasn't too impressed but I think that was because I'd never tried halloumi before and was a bit bemused by it's unusual texture and flavour. Fast forward to this year and my taste buds are now accustomed to the squeaky cheese and I was happy to give this recipe another try. I'm really glad I did as I enjoyed it much more this time. The spices add a subtle flavour to the otherwise plain couscous and the halloumi adds texture and a hint of saltiness.


Griddled Halloumi with Spiced Couscous
(taken from Good Food Magazine January 2005)

1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
handful of sugarsnap peas
175g/6oz couscous
1/2 tsp each cinnamon, cumin and coriander
300ml/1/2 pint hot vegetable stock
handful cherry tomatoes, halved
250g pack halloumi cheese
juice of half a lemon
olive oil

1) Steam the broccoli for 6 minutes, add the peas and steam for 2 minutes more.

2) Mix the couscous with the spices in a bowl, pour over the hot stock, then cover and leave to stand for 5 minutes.

3) Heat a non-stick frying pan or griddle pan. Cut the halloumi into 6-8 slices and cook quickly on each side for 2 minutes until lightly tinged brown.

4) Mix the vegetables and tomatoes into the couscous, fork in the lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil. Pile onto plates and top with the halloumi.

Serves 2

6 comments:

  1. Yum, I love halloumi, will have t give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there,
    I've just stumbled across your blog and I'm now following. I really like it - the layout and your recipes! This sounds like a keeper for me - we love haloumi and couscous, although I've never tried them in combination together.
    Look forward to seeing more of your recipes throughout the year,
    Brittany.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore halloumi but Mr CC won't touch it. I'll have to save this yummy looking dish for when I'm home alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, I love the squeaky cheese! This looks lovely - and so easy. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds wonderful - I love halloumi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never tried halloumi (not sure how as am a cheese addict!) but I really like the look and sound of these ingredients, will have try it!

    ReplyDelete