Monday 6 June 2011

Lamb Biryani with Cumin, Mint and Coriander Yoghurt


No Meal Planning Monday for me this week as I'm off on holiday on Thursday and the rest of the week is very much unplanned at the moment! Instead, though, I'll tell you about the Lamb Biryani that appeared on my meal plan a couple of weeks ago.

This recipe comes from Bill Grainger's book, Every Day, which I like more and more as I try new recipes from it. It has a great variety of recipes, most of which are very fresh and healthy, which are great for weeknight dinners or for serving to friends and family.

This is a lovely, gently spiced rice dish that was very easy to assemble. Once you've done the initial browning and frying it will look after itself in the oven while you get on with something else. I halved the recipe and this was about right for two of us, however you could stretch it to three if you served some naan bread on the side.

I nearly didn't make the spiced yoghurt but I'm glad I did as it was a lovely accompaniment to the curry and was no trouble to assemble. I'm not too keen on using whole chillies so I substituted it for a sprinkle of dried chilli flakes which added just enough background warmth for me.

Lamb Biryani
(adapted from Every Day by Bill Grainger)

1kg/2 lb 4oz boneless lamb leg, trimmed and diced
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh ginger
300g/10 1/2 oz basmati rice
750ml/26 fl oz chicken stock
small handful fresh coriander leaves

1) Preheat the oven to 200c/400f/gas 6. Put the lamb in a large bowl with the garam masal, cumin and turmeric and toss to coat the lamb in the spices.

2) Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a flameproof casserole over a medium heat, and the lamb in batches and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3-4 minutes until browned all over, adding a little more oil if necessary. Remove and set aside.

3) Add the remaining oil, onion, garlic and ginger to the casserole and cook over a medium heat until the onion is soft and pale golden. Add the rice, stir together and cook for 2 minutes.

4) Return the lamb to the casserole in a single layer and carefully pour over the stock. Put the lid on the casserole and put in the oven. Cook for 35-45 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed all the liquid. Top with coriander leaves before serving.

Serves 4-6

Cumin, mint and coriander yoghurt
(as above)

300ml natural yoghurt
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander
2cm/1 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated
1 long green chilli, seeded and finely chopped
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
lightly toasted cumin seeds

Serves 4-6

1 comment:

  1. I love asian-influenced recipes and this is something I've never tried before. Great flavours! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete